Saturday, May 12, 2012

Made For Mom



I went shopping for Mother's Day gifts for my mom and mother-in-law today. I could find nothing new, unique, interesting, or exciting to give them. Everything seemed like reproductions of the last ten years worth of Mother's Day gift ideas.

As I walked and walked and walked, going from one store to the next, my focus shifted to my aching feet. As I continued sifting through the same-stuff-different-store, I kept thinking that what I really wanted to do was soak in a hot bath. That's when it hit me...a basket of bath stuff would be a great gift for the moms.

Okay, so, I KNOW bath salts, bubbles and scrubs is nothing new. But bath salts, bubbles and scrubs made by yours truly is totally different!

I hopped in the car and headed to Walmart where I could get all my supplies in one place. I bought jelly jars, salts, fruits, and oils. And -- I confess -- I bought a big jug of bubble bath because I have no idea how to make bubble bath.

For the bath salts, I used plain old Epsom salts and lavender essential oils (which I had on hand). I added a few drops of oil to the bag of Epsom salts and shook it like crazy to combine. I kept on adding drops of the lavender oil until the scent was what I liked.

For the salt scrub, I used a coarse sea salt, grated lemon rind, fresh rosemary (from the planter on my table), and mineral oil. I combined the entire container of salt, rind from two fresh lemons, and six sprigs of rosemary. I mixed it together until everything was fully incorporated and the salt was a pale yellow color. Then I added mineral oil until the salt mixture was slightly thicker than the scrubs you get in the store. I find that store brand salt scrubs generally use too much oil and, therefore, do not do a very good job sloughing rough skin from heels, elbows, and knees. You can use as much as you like, but in my opinion, less is best.

After everything was mixed and prepared, I packaged each concoction in small jelly jars. I found a set of 12 jars for less than $8.00!!! Then, inspired by the hydrangeas in my yard, I chose a pair of light blue baskets to hold my handmade gifts.


I stuffed everything in the baskets, wrapped 'em in medium clear bag wraps, and tied a white ribbon to finish it off. So simple. And the great thing is that these simple but seriously tasteful and pretty gifts can be given at any time of the year and for any occasion! It's a super easy idea for all those end-of-year teacher's gifts too.



Check out other clever ideas on these awesome link parties . . . .


you are talking too muchyou are talking too much 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Bradford House Consulting's blog. We appreciate your thoughts and comments.