Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cheesy Gifts

Okay, so, this isn't one of the projects that I have been promising, but I couldn't leave y'all hanging any longer without a new post. I thought I'd show you a small thing I did this week when I was really searching for supplies for a totally different project. I was at Goodwill this week looking for a unique planter to hold herbs and there they were . . . TWO DOMED CHEESE BOARDS. 



Normally I wouldn't pay the sight much mind, but just days earlier I read an old blog post over at House of Hepworths on upcycled domed cheese boards. It looked simple enough; and since I was having no luck finding something to convert into an herb planter, I thought I'd give it a try. Plus, the price for the entire project was just $13 so I had very little to lose. I was so happy to find that it was as easy as HOH promised it was. I absolutely love an inexpensive, fast AND easy D-I-Y project and this one was all three!


I started with the two cheese boards and two fat candle sticks. If you give this a try yourself, don't worry over color or style. Those things don't matter much because the entire item will be painted.


First remove the feet from the cheese board. Then place the candle stick in the center of the board and trace around it.


Place a bead of glue inside the mark you made from tracing around the candle stick. House of Hepworths used Gorrilla Glue, but impatient me chose a fast drying super glue.


Next you simply paint the entire piece in whatever color you like. I recently purchased some crackle medium, so one cheese pedastal got that treatment with an undercoat of grey (shown above), then crackle medium, and finally covered in white. For the other one, I chose just to go with a simple black dressing. My stands required two coats of paint for full coverage. When completely dry, give the finished product a light coat of clear spray paint to seal. I chose a clear satin finish for both pieces.


So whatta ya think? Don't you just love them? I could make a dozen more. They are great for buffet serving OR they will make a great gift for friends. I am even thinking of monogramming the black one with a giant letter right there in the center.

Thanks to House of Hepworths for this fabulous and super easy upcycle project idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Bradford House Consulting's blog. We appreciate your thoughts and comments.